The Stage is what attendees see, the Backstage is how speakers present. For a guide on how to set up your stage, click here.
Every Hopin Stage has an associated Backstage. The Backstage is accessed via a private link in your event dashboard. Only organizers have access to this link and it’s the link you’ll be sharing with your speakers or anyone you want to have on screen via the Stage. Check on our Backstage tutorial for more information on the Backstage.
How to access your Backstage
- Sign in and go to your event dashboard
- In Overview, you’ll see the box "Broadcast Studio" next to the camera icon. This contains the Backstage link.
- You can also go to "Stage" in the Event Dashboard > Venue and you will see "Segment Backstage Link" under "Hopin Studio".
- After you obtain the link, open that link in a new tab to enter the Backstage.
Note: The Backstage is only for the Stage, NOT for the Sessions or Expo areas.
Tip: You must be registered for the event for the Backstage link to work. If you are not registered, you will be sent to the registration page. This applies to the event Organizers as well.
- Share Audio and Video. Click "Share Audio and Video" at the top right of the video screen. This will turn on your video and audio in the Backstage, and you'll be able to go live when the Organizer hits "Broadcast".
- Broadcast. Visible only to organizers, press this button to go live to the front Stage. When you click Broadcast, whatever and whoever is visible in the Backstage becomes visible on the front Stage.
- Video. Click this to turn your video on and off.
- Audio. Click this to mute and unmute yourself.
- Screensharing. This looks like a computer screen with a line through it. That means it is off. To turn on, click it, then you will be able to choose your slides or application to present. When you share your slides, your video becomes smaller and sits below the presentation. If you turn off your camera, you will be removed completely from screen until you turn it back on again.
Note: Screen sharing option is limited to one person at a time and will be greyed out for the other speakers/presenters until the person stops sharing their screen. If you have 4 speakers for a session, and one of them decides to share their screen, the Screenshare will be counted as the 5th person.
- Backstage chat. To the right, you have the ability to chat privately with anyone in the Backstage using the Backstage chat. You can easily switch between Event chat and Backstage chat to view the attendee conversation while chatting with your speakers on the Backstage.
When you click Broadcast, the top left of the screen says “Going Live…” blinking in yellow. You are not live yet. Wait about 10-15 seconds, and then you will see a red “LIVE” notification appear in its place. Once you see the red "Live" button, that means it’s you are live and sending the stream from the Backstage to the front Stage.
Tip: When broadcasting, there's a small delay between the Backstage and the main Stage of about 10-15 seconds. You should not hesitate, however, when you start broadcasting, start speaking. You’ll notice when you ask a question, the chat responses from attendees come in about 10 seconds after you finish asking it. It takes some getting used to, but with practice it becomes natural.