What is a Magic Link?
Magic Links allow organizers to import registrations from third-party registration platforms into Hopin. This feature is only available for Business, Pro and Enterprise plans. Magic Links can also be used by organizers to invite specific attendees, speakers, vendors, etc., directly to an event.
- When clicked, a Magic Link will automatically sign-up the attendee for a specific event if they already have a Hopin account affiliated with their email address.
- If a user does not have an existing Hopin account affiliated with their email address, the Magic Link creates a new Hopin account affiliated with the email address for an attendee. Once the Magic Link is clicked, it will register the attendee for a specific event under their new Hopin account.
- No two Magic Links are the same; each is unique for every attendee at every event.
- Magic Links can be sent to attendees, vendors, speakers, moderators and other organizers.
- Magic Links can be used to invite attendees, vendors, speakers, moderators, prior as well as after the event start time if required.
- Magic Link invites can be unsubscribed from by invitees to stop receiving further emails from that event and decline the registration.
How to use Magic Link invites
An Attendee (Speaker, Moderator, Vendor) will receive a Magic Link invitation email sent by an Event Organizer to join an event. Below is what it looks like, simply click on Verify Registration to proceed.
Next tick the box next to I'm not a robot to continue and complete the reCAPTCHA, if prompted.
Then, check the box to accept the Terms & Conditions, and click Continue. You can also select the red text underneath the Continue button to Decline invitation and remove my data from Hopin, if you would not like to join the event.
If the Event hasn't started yet
If an attendee clicks their Magic Link and the event hasn’t started yet, they are brought to the event waiting page. Here, the guest can edit their Hopin profile by clicking the create your profile link (avatar, name, headline, and social media handles can all be updated). They can also write messages in the chat.
If the Event has started
If an attendee clicks their Magic Link and the event has started, they are brought immediately into the event, specifically to the Reception page. The guest can still edit their Hopin profile (avatar, name, headline, and social media handles) by clicking their avatar image at the top right-hand corner of the page and going to their Profile page.
If the user is logged into their Hopin account
If a Magic Link invitee creates a Hopin account or has an existing one and manually logs in to Hopin, you will be asked to Confirm & Join Event and then will be sent directly to the event. If you are logged out then a new email will be generated after the previous link has expired.
If the Magic Link Expires after 10 minutes
If the email link has expired, and the user has logged out of their Hopin account, a new verification email will need to be triggered and re-sent as the verification link is only active for 10 minutes. After this, the user will be issued a new link whenever they click on the previous verification link. So clicking the Confirm & Join Event button again.
Next tick the box next to I'm not a robot to continue, also complete the reCAPTCHA if prompted.
The user will then land on a new email verification page (as shown below) and, at the same time, a new link will be emailed to the user.
So once again the user should click on Confirm & Join Event in the newly received email to access the event.
If your email client uses email threads, make sure to select only the latest Magic Link email, you may need to expand the email thread to see it.
How to add a Magic Link invite to your calendar
Once you have joined the event, you will be sent another email saying "You're In". Click Add to Calendar to proceed.
Here, you can click Add to Calendar again and it will generate a drop down menu.
Select the appropriate calendar choice in the drop down menu. In this case we will use Google.
A calendar entry will then be created, click Save to add to the calendar.
Below is how the entry will look in your Google Calendar, simply click the Magic Link URL to access the event when the time comes.
How to decline a Magic Link invite for an event
As an attendee, speaker or moderator you are able to decline Magic Link invites so to stop receiving these kind of emails from the organiser of an event.
To do so simply click on please click here to unsubscribe near the bottom of the Magic Link invite email.
You will then be redirected to a page where you can either:
- Decline invitation, so that you won't register for the event nor receive further emails about it.
- Accept invitation, in case you change your mind and want to register for the event and receive further emails about it.
Clicking on Decline invitation will redirect you to the page shown below, you will be unsubscribed to all event emails and won't be registered for the event. Here you also have the option to Resubscribe if you wish to.
Clicking on Resubscribe will redirect you to the Decline and Accept invitation page (shown above), where both options will be again available to choose from.
Magic Link invites are very flexible to satisfy different user needs and scenarios, some further options to keep in mind for Magic Link invitees are described below.
- If an invitee initially accepts the Magic Link invite and changes their mind they can still unsubscribe using the initial invitation email they received following the same process as described above by clicking on please click here to unsubscribe near the bottom of the Magic Link invite.
- If an invitee initially declines the Magic Link invite and changes their mind they can still register for the event using the initial invitation email they received following the same process as described above by clicking on the Login & Join Event button near the middle of the Magic Link invite.
Feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in case you have questions or need assistance.